Home automation is an amazing technology which allows you to manage various elements of your home with a centralised system. This fascinating technology promises to make your daily life extremely comfortable and provide convenience at the ends of your fingertips. Presenting plenty of great benefits, investing in home automation allows you to not only operate your home, it also saves a fortune on electricity and gas.
Home Automation Benefits:
- Additional safety on appliances and lighting control
- Upgraded home security with automated door locks
- Increased awareness with security cameras
- Use various modules & software to create awesome projects
- Extreme convenience on controlling automated device
- The potential of saving money
- Allows user to manage all home functions remotely
What Is LightwaveRF?
LightwaveRF is a fascinating and advanced technology that allows every homeowner to have a smart home. It’s a network system that includes controllers and slaves that allow the user to control many home functions of the house from a smartphone, tablet or computer.
It allows the homeowner to remotely control the lighting, power and heating devices from home, the office or any part of the world. This enables every homeowner to secure their assets, save money and regularly monitor their homes.
LightwaveRF is a modular, sophisticated and stylish system designed for automating whatever aspect the homeowner would like to control. As a modular system, users can start with a single module that enables them to manage a part of the house. Modules can be added to expand and increase the area to be controlled depending on the user’s preference, making this system the most affordable way to automate your home.
How Does The System Work?
Lightwave RF is a simple system that starts with “modules” that are sophisticated light switches, power sockets, heater valves, etc. designed with the built in LightwaveRF technology. These modules act as a switch that allows homeowners to manage or control functions attached to them. Each module is independent of each other and adding or removing a single module on the system won’t disrupt the whole set up of the network.
These modules with the built-in LightwaveRF technology can be easily paired with a hand-held or wall-mounted remote controls for convenience and easy access. The remote controls and modules communicate with each other wirelessly, allowing the homeowners to manage the devices on a central command system.
How To Manage The Devices
To manage home from any location globally where there is access to the web, the Lightwave Link is the key to the system. Once the device is plugged into the homeowner’s broadband WiFi router, users can use the free smartphone and tablet app from the App Store or Google Play to manage the home devices or functions. Homeowners can also use the LightwaveRF Web App for PC or tablet, just by logging into the system website.
Lightwave Link receives and passes on commands from the App to the system modules such as relays, power sockets and dimmers then carry out the command. The App communicates with the Link using WiFi, 3G or 4G if the system detects the homeowner is away. From the App or Website, users will have full control of the system, managing every single module or devices at home.
The Lightwave RF Products
The Lightwave Link is the core of the LightwaveRF system; it is the crucial device that enables the homeowners to access the home automation system from any location. This is a very straightforward plug and plays device that only needs to be connected to the home WiFi broadband router. Lightwave Link is the bridge between the smartphone app or Web App and the modules at home. This app allows the homeowner to remotely manage the modules such as alert systems, outdoor lighting, switches, sockets, heating and dimmers.
This device also saves timers and routines for various home functions. Lightwave Link enables homeowners to program specific devices to turn on automatically. The free smartphone or tablet app, as well as the system’s web app, provides the user various presets, sequences and moods that can be set for different modules such as the heating system, power sockets, individual lights and dimmers.
Every module or device connected to the LightwaveRF home automation system can be monitored or managed from LightwaveRF wall mounted or handheld remote controls. These remote controls communicate with each module or device wirelessly and without extra wiring required. With these remote controls, homeowners can conveniently manage every device linked to the system from a single control panel.
Handheld or wall-mounted remote controls come as wire free switches, mood lighting controllers or socket lockers that are battery operated with low voltage consumption. They are powered by a standard 3V CR2032 coin-cell battery. They also feature a slimline design, and at only 15mm deep, homeowners can just attach them to walls by screwing into a back box or using the adhesive strips provided. Wire free switches can also be safely fitted in places like bathrooms and laundry rooms where regulations would prohibit the use mains powered switches.
Mood lighting controllers are devices that allow the user to create and store up to five “mood lighting scenarios” which can include groups of power sockets and dimmers. They also have an “All Off” button that turns off all lights and outlets, saving on standby power.
Socket Locker is a LightwaveRF remote control that allows the user to remotely lock on or off sockets or dimmer switches so that they can’t be manually turned on or off. It is an ideal device to protect the family from dangerous appliances.
Dimmer switches are devices that are compatible with a vast range of dimmable LED’s and lamps. These high-end switches are available in stainless steel, white, chrome and black chrome finishes. Dimmer switches all use existing home wiring circuits and back boxes (minimum 35mm backbox) for quick and easy installation. They also are controlled manually or remotely by using a handheld remote, wire free switch or the App. These dimmers are neat and battery powered switches that homeowners can be positioned anywhere in the house.
2-way dimmers are devices identical to a standard dimmer switch designed to use as a slave to standard dimmers. They are devices that perform two-way switching operation, like several lights that require two or more switching operation.
Inline relays and dimmers are tools that make it possible to operate mains voltage devices such as garage doors, curtains, great lighting circuits and gates. Homeowners can control these inline switching devices by using the app, handheld remote control or wire free switch. Combined with a wire-free switch, both can be very useful for safe internal switching in the bathroom, where installing a regular dimmer is not permitted.
Pairing inline relays and dimmers with a wire-free switch not only allows homeowners to install safe internal switching in damp areas, but it also allows them to dim lights in a wet environment. Combining an inline switching device with a wire-free switch will also enable users to open the garage door and turn on the lights at the same time. When they are used wisely and creatively, these inline switching devices provides a lot of possibilities.
These inline relays and dimmers are devices that don’t require physical access, which means they can be installed wall cavities or roof spaces. They wirelessly receive commands from wire-free switches, handheld remotes and triggers.
Single or Double plug and play adapter sockets that feature an ultra slimline design available in chrome, stainless steel, white metal or black chrome to match the range of dimmers. With LED status lights to indicate if the socket is on or off, these outlets provide a full control that includes “all-off” and group controls. Every plug is fully compatible with all of LightwaveRF remote controls and wire-free switches.
Owners can set up a “socket lock” facility to secure all devices linked to the network. It allows the user to lock on all devices that prevent them to be manually switched off or on. Setting up a “socket lock” can be done through the Socket Locker remote control or the LightwaveRF App.
Every socket is fully rated at 13 Amps and fully approved to BS 1364; they are also compatible with 35mm back box which is ideal for confined spaces. All sockets are plug and play, and they don’t need any rewiring process. Just connect these devices to an existing outlet, and they are ready to go. While dimmers can handle 300W, these sockets can switch devices rated up to 3000W.
LightwaveRF presents a heating range that features a series of advanced electronics and high-performance ARM processor. This range of heating devices includes radiator valves, home thermostat, electric switch, boiler switch, magnetic triggers and heating remote. The thermostatic radiator valves work with a boiler switch to provide homeowners with fully remote controlled heating system.
LightwaveRF allows users to set up and manage a full heating system using remote controls, wire-free switches or the smartphone app. The system allows every homeowner to create different profiles, monitor and set preferred temperature settings in real-time. Magnetic triggers, on the other hand, allows the user to save energy by detecting open windows and individually turning down radiators.
The electricity monitor is a device that works with the Lightwave Link and the app allows the user to keep track of the electricity use in real-time. From a smartphone, tablet or PC, homeowners will be able to monitor the energy consumption of the all the devices or appliances connected to the network. This device tracks the live electricity feeds of all devices and records them. It provides homeowners with a complete graphical data of power consumption and trends, allowing them to make the necessary adjustments to reduce electricity bills.
LightwaveRF energy monitor is a very useful device that allows the user to track the amount of energy consumed by every single device or appliance on the network. Allowing the user to turn off unused lights, heating devices and appliances to save energy and reduce electricity consumption.
Door chimes are portable devices that function as a door bell. Built with a set of eight melodies, this device can be linked to any receiver to alert homeowners to a visitor. Combined or connected to dimmers, the lights can be programmed to stay on or flash for a set period.
Energy Saving Devices and Accessories
These various devices and accessories are key elements that make a LightwaveRF system compelling, not only that they help save energy and cost, these devices can also be used creatively to make any home attractive and comfortable.
- Signal Booster– A device that perfectly works with the Lightwave Link to extend its range. It increases the manageable area allowing the system to control more devices or appliances. This is an ideal significant for extending on the outdoors.
- Dusk to Dawn Sensors– Waterproof and portable sensors that can be placed outdoors to measure the level of ambient light. These are devices that can be used as automatic switches for security, driveway and porch lights.
- Passive Infrared (PIR) Sensors– PIR sensors are switches that operate when a movement is detected. These are ideal switches for situations where lights should be on when a person is present. Commonly used for long hallways where lights turn on when someone is approaching.
- Magnetic Switches– Switches that can be attached to a non-metallic door or window, they are activated by opening the window or door they are attached to. Linked to any LightwaveRF device, they can function as an automatic switch once the door or window are closed.
These accessories are tools that open a world of possibilities, carefully planned and used efficiently; they will make the LightwaveRF network a robust system that will save a tremendous amount of energy and reduce cost. Each accessory can also be used with a touch of creativity to provide impressive dramatic effects to make the ambience of an area relaxing and comfortable.
Getting Started with LightwaveRF
LightwaveRF is the first affordable way of home automation; it’s a very powerful system that enables you to fully automate your home, save energy and significantly reduce your electricity cost. So investing in this technology will present plenty of advantages and it can also be very beneficial in the long run. So to get you started, here are the things you need to know.
What do You need?
- The App– The free LightwaveRF App for smartphones and tablets is the system’s command centre, from here you can control or manage all the devices linked to your network. You can download this free app from Google Play or the App Store. You can also manage your network on a PC by just logging into the LightwaveRF website.
- Lightwave Link– Considered as the key element of the system, this very simple plug and play device only needs to be plugged into your home broadband WiFi router. This device is the bridge that connects the LightwaveRF App to all the modules on the network. The Lightwave Link receives the commands from the app then passes them to the modules which will carry out the commands.
- LightwaveRF Modules– These modules are simply high-end power sockets, light switches, relays, dimmers, etc. that has a built-in LightwaveRF technology linked to the Lightwave Link. These devices are the ones that receives the commands and carry them out.
How to Install LightwaveRF Devices
The LightwaveRF smart home system operates in a very simple way and installing this whole system is also pretty easy. Installing modules don’t require any additional wiring, and it uses existing home circuits for quick and easy installation. To give you more information, here are more details about LightwaveRF installation.
- Do it Yourself (DIY)– LightwaveRF is the first comprehensive DIY home automation system introduced in the UK. Every module such as plug sockets, light switches, dimmers, etc. are designed to function and look the same way their conventional counterparts look and function. So, these modules are installed exactly how their standard equivalents were installed. In many instances, installing is just a matter of quick swapping using the same wires. Just make sure to use 35mm deep back boxes to house the modules.
- Simple Plug and Play– Most of the LightwaveRF devices like the Lightwave Link, remotes, plug-in sockets and wire-free switches are plug and play, making the installation quick and straightforward. These devices don’t require formal installation or rewiring, all you have to do is just to plug them in, and they are ready to go.
- Professional Installation– If you want to seek professional help to ensure your facility, you can hire any electrician that has a basic Part-P qualification. As long as they are basic Part-P qualified, they are legally approved to install LightwaveRF devices including heating system devices.
Wireless Range of LightwaveRF
- Superior Wireless Range – The Lightwave Link typically covers 15 – 20 meters in any direction. This standard coverage includes penetration to brick walls and barriers, the area of coverage is much greater in open areas. LightwaveRF also uses a lower bandwidth, making its penetration much greater compared to WiFi and other communication protocols such as Z-Wave, Bluetooth and Zigbee.
- Maximised Performance– The Lightwave Link is an adequate device capable of covering a large house. However, the possibility of having a hard to reach spots is not eliminated. Due to a lot of factors such as thick walls and massive objects around the house, the risk of having barriers to frequency is still great. The best you can do is to place the device as high as possible to increase penetration and maximise the radio range.
- Expanding the Area of Coverage– To extend the reach of your LightwaveRF network, you can use a signal booster that functions as a WiFi access point to repeat and extend the range of up to six power or lighting commands from the Lightwave Link. Signal boosters are waterproof devices that can be placed outdoors, making it an ideal way to extend your network on gardens and patios.
The LightwaveRF Free Smartphone or Tablet App
Downloading the free smartphone or tablet free app is the easiest way to unleash the maximum potential of the LightwaveRF technology. It will serve as your main command centre where you monitor every device on the network and manage the entire system conveniently. The app will also provide various presets that you can use to manage your automated home properly.
From the app you can also create profiles, configure various settings and track your energy consumption, allowing you to minimise the energy use and ultimately reduce electricity cost.